Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Rebirth: UFO to WIP

Many moons ago, I started a quilt. I pieced the top. I pieced the back. I layered it with batting. It was a small quilt, and I like "sandwiched" edges, so I sewed the three layers together inside out, pillowcase style, and there it was. Everything but the quilting. And there it sat. I had figured I would machine quilt it, as I had tossed it together willy-nilly on the machine on the fly. But I was having troubles with my machine, and with my willy-nilly toss it together, I had a feeling I would just end up having so many horrid quilting lines with bunching fabric and bunching bobbin thread, I would end it ripping the thing to shreds. No deadline, no particular recipient in mind, just making it to make it, so... it was tucked away. For pondering. An Unfinished Object: UFO.

I didn't forget it, as it's the first quilt I've made that's gotten even that far (I also have a partial top that will probably resurface later this year). It was so fun to get it that far. I had Hit the Wall with how to proceed. I couldn't figure out what sort of quilting lines I would want on it, how I could quilt it, knew I couldn't use my machine on it, don't like tied quilts (I actually sometimes like ones others have made, I not well enough to make one myself).

Last fall I took a hand-quilting class, just because. I knew I wanted to be doing quilting and I thought I might as well.

Last week, I pulled this baby off of the shelf and started to look at it for how it could be quilted. I knew I wanted to do quilt lines that accentuated the piecing. I'd been floating ideas around in my head, but I hadn't even looked at the silly thing in months!

Last weekend, I dropped into my local quilting store, bought four colors of quilting thread because I couldn't decide and I might just use them all.

And on Easter Sunday, I threaded my needle and started in on it. It will be quilted as pieced: willy-nilly. I'll outline a couple of pieces, I'll do some criscrossing over a section at a time, I'll make it up as I go.

L'il Brown Quilt

Back to being a Work in Progress: WIP.

3 Comments:

Blogger jenifleur said...

I followed your comment at Cara's and I wanted to tell you it was very well put. Now that I'm here, I want to tell you that I love your quilt-I have a bunch of oriental brocades that I want to put together but quilting just seems so....BIG. And the owl is really REALLY cute!

4/13/2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Annalea said...

Hi Amber. Thanks so much for your comment on my comment over at January One. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know that you enjoyed what I had to say.

Have a great week!

4/16/2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Carson said...

Let's hear it for 'making it up as we go'! glad to hear it.
Thanks for your comments on my Ultra Raglan, I'm still giggling over the sha-zam maam.
And the reveal was so not intentional, but I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised :)

4/18/2007 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home