Thursday, April 05, 2007

Owls! Puppy on the coffee table!

Owl

When Moonstitches had just first posted her owls, I was smitten. Swooning.

When someone needed a gift for a 1-year-olds birthday party, I jumped out of my chair. An Owl! That kid needs an owl! Let's go make a prototype and pick fabrics right! now!

As long as we were at it, I threw one together for a co-worker who could use a little cheering up. She named him Puppy.

An Owl for Charlie, a co-creation with my roommate:
Owl for Charlie

Puppy on the PrOwl on the Coffee Table:
Puppy in the living room

Details:
-Inspired by Moonstitches. I saw a pattern schematic and made it up from there, with a quickie "muslin" test.
-Wool plaids from an old upholstery sample book, just the right size for these and not much more.
-Other fabric scraps from stash.
-I couldn't wait for Moonstitches' kindly provided "tutowlrial", but it's quite nice, and I am excited to try her method for the circle on the bottom - mine are a little free-hand wonky, though I'm pleased with my improving blind-stitching skills.

AmberCake-Faked Innovention: filled mostly with polyfill, then lentils for weight. It takes a little manuvering and a careful holding of the gathered bottom to get them to stay in there. Gives them a nice weight, makes them stand up straight or roll up to standing however you sit them down. Also, makes it a paperweight, which is exactly the excuse we all need to make them for grown-ups!

5 Comments:

Blogger futuregirl said...

Way cool! I love those red eyes on the gray, star-bellied owl.

4/05/2007 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! And I love the lentil innovation. (and I think we have the same couch...)

4/05/2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

That's one cute owl.
Of course every child needs an owl!

4/06/2007 1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free-hand wonky is so charming!

4/06/2007 10:17 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Hi, just read your comment.
About the ripping..no I'm so not gonna rip the Ultra Raglan sweater.
I knitted a really loooong scarf in 100% alpaca ages ago that I never wear but I think the yarn would be perfect for Here & There Cables instead.

4/08/2007 4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home