Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sling Shots

This babywearing picture is so wrong. Baby is in the sling wrong, sling is incorrectly slung on me, which would result in sore back/shoulder/neck. I was wearing it sitting, using it to take a little of his weight out of my arms while getting him to sleep. I love the little leg swinging out.

Bad BabyWearing

Then I put him down in the sling, among the fabrics. I MADE that sling, and I'm going to make a few for friends - gotta pick fabrics. (Yes, yes, after this picture, I moved him to a safe spot and covered him up more warmly)

SlingShot

We saw someone with a similar style, and though I thought it was a simple design, maybe easy to make, I knew we needed it NOW and figured it would be well worth the $20 or $30 to pick one up. Except it was SEVENTY DOLLARS at the store.

For SEVENTY DOLLARS, we agreed that we'd wait a couple of days. If I couldn't get new-tired-mumma together to make one in a few days, the store would still have it. If I could sew a tube of fabric with a curve in the join, I'd have seventy dollars more for chocolate. It was so crazy easy that I'm going to make a few more, for the wonderful friends who have been so tremendously helpful and have babes & babes-to-be of their own.

I think for sophisticated urban papas like this dude's dad, I could do one out of suiting fabric with either a very nice shirting or some sort of dark, dense, smooth washable fabric on the inside - perhaps like a suit lining, but a little sturdier than the standard. Even in all the fancy fabrics, it would beat the store price.

Project details, such as they are:
Fabric: Stash: some khaki cotton + a hand block -printed sheet made by a friend of a friend
Pattern: Found via Mamma's Milk - I used these directions at Jan Andrea.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

Auguri! Auguri! Auguri! Enjoy every minute! He's beautiful.

2/06/2008 9:04 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Great job! Both on the sling and on the adorable baby. I washed my wool suiting fabric before sewing (it didn't shrink at all) and now have a completely washable wool skirt. Something to keep in mind for the macho-sling from suiting!

2/06/2008 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Amberrrrrrrr. Your beautiful boy is so, very, completely beautiful. Lucky boy, lucky you.

2/27/2008 10:02 PM  
Blogger Heather Moore said...

Hi Ambercake. Thanks for your useful weaving tips at Skinny laMinx - much appreciated - and congrats on your lovely baby, and that great sling too.
Cheers,
Heather

1/22/2009 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your home made sling, and the little leg poking out the end. If you are interested in entering a baby carrier give away contact me at katie(at)lastellablu.com.

1/26/2009 4:46 PM  
Blogger Matt. Tara. Addi. Roslyn. said...

Hi,
What an adorable baby and nice job on making the sling! My husband and I recently started an area rug website. We are trying to get the business going, and were wondering if you would be willing to put a link to our site from yours. Our site is www.arearugbug.com. We are still trying to get it completed, but would love it if you would post our link. You can put the link anywhere you feel that it would not distract from your own information. If this is something that you are interested in please contact me at taraivers@gmail.com and we would be glad to send you a great new bread mix from our food storage business as a thank you.
Thanks, Tara

5/19/2009 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Sherman Unkefer said...

He's so adorable... love your home made sling, and the little leg poking out the end. Happy new year...

1/04/2011 7:09 AM  
Blogger Carol Mittlesteadt-Kubrican said...

HI AmberCake. In response to your comment about the miniature nativity scene that I've linked from my blog, True2Scale, you may wish to contact the owner of the blog with the nativity scene. Her name is Jean Day and she is a wonderful lady. I'm sure that she would be happy to help you. http://jdayminis.blogspot.com/ Kindly, Carol

12/06/2012 11:04 AM  
Blogger Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

Hi Amber,

You commented on my blog post about Cocoa Poo. I can't reply to that comment because you have your blogger profile set so that it won't show bloggers your email address. You want to check the box in the profile edit section that says 'show email address".

Thanks!

Jill @ Made with Moxie aka thatmoxiegirl

ps- It takes a while for your hair to get used to using dry shampoo and not washing as much...maybe a week or so? But not I only wash it every other day, if that. It was awesome in the summer.

12/11/2012 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home