Thursday, January 04, 2007

Already January 4th? The Future is Now!

Well, Happy New Year. I usually don't go along with that whole resolutions bonanza, but I'm feeling it this year, at least a little bit. I think it has more to do with the post-holiday (please, enough crazy!) than with the changing of the calendar year, though perhaps the combination of the two makes both more powerful. At any rate, I'm ready to seize the spirit of taking a moment to consider what's up and what there should be more of and what there should be less of.

I usually wholly dismiss the standard resolution lists - clean the house, spend more time with ___, lose 10 pounds - as ridiculous and overwrought and cheap sentimentality. But I'll shrug my shoulders and go with the flow. Call the past the past and call the future the now and take a moment for reflection and contemplation of what that could be. Consider realistic notions of what I want my life to look like, but things I can aspire to, not just fall into.

Now is the part where I would post a list, if I had such a thing. It's under development. It will continue to be under development until next year, when I will turn the page and start a fresh sheet with similar things on it. I was very pleased that some of the items on the developing list started with "Continue to ..." and "Keep going on ..." I think part of why I've often looked down on "New Year's Resolutions" lists is that it's not as though you're going to start going to the gym three times a week and cooking healthy meals every night if you don't know how to boil water yet and haven't ever been to a gym. (For the record, I've been to gyms, and I can and do cook) Maybe I'm just not the extreme hold-myself-to-goals type - I sure can't start a bunch of things I've never been good at or been able to force myself to start or stick with them just because they're my "New Year's Resolutions." I would quickly dismiss it all as ridiculous and unrelated to my life.

I think instead of making Resolutions, I'm making Assessments, taking Inventory: do more of this, keep going on that, get rid of this, this is something I've been intending, time to fish or cut bait. So the real resolution in this is simply: Better. Not because 2006 or any other year or time or day was Bad. Better as a superlative of Good, not as an improvement on Bad. Call it good, call it over. And this year, as with all other years, let's also have Better.

Cheers to Better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Nicely stated. Cheers!

1/05/2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

"Hear hear"!
(Is it hear or here? It's one of those verbal idioms that's nororiously difficult to write.."here" doesn't make sense does it?)
Anyway..Cheers to that!

1/07/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger futuregirl said...

I like your attitude. "Better" is awesome. :)

Sometimes people can be so black and white about things. Like, if they want to improve, that something must be wrong now. I think you have a very balanced take on things.

1/09/2007 7:14 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Trying natural dyeing definitely fits under the "better" umbrella! You're worth it (and here I hope you're old enough to remember the L'Oreal hairdye ads) and you can feel free to write with any questions you have along the way. Happy New Year!

1/09/2007 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home