Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Keeping Going: A post of Extraordinary Length.

Blogland, I know that The Holidays are Over. Christmas is now such a distant memory that the unwritten thank you notes already seem months late. Still, it was only this week that I could put out my tree for proper collection to get mulched. And I have to tell you about my Christmas tree. Because my Christmas tree bloomed. That's right. You know all those dormant little brown nubbins at the ends of branches? The ones that look like teeny tiny beginnings of pine cones? They're buds. And in my house, they open.

Tree Busting Out

All over the tree, too, not just in one little spot.

Busting Out All Over

This is not the first time this has happened. I think it was two years ago now that by the time New Year's rolled around, my tree was covered in them. I estimated at least 300-400 opened buds, many of them an inch or longer.

It's hard to say what it means. I think it's because I can't figure out what I want it to mean. A friend told me today that her parents planted their cut Christmas tree one year and it took root and grew. Maybe it just means that life is really determined to Keep Going. So I've been Keeping Going.

Fine Mess

Filing, anyone? Most of my weekend went to organizing paperwork for my co-op apartment building. Did I mention that I'm the President of the Board of my co-op building? The Jeff Next Door likes to follow the announcement that I'm on the Board by telling people they are welcome to call me "Madame President." And Madame President has been collecting everything that she can and this weekend, the First Gentleman of the co-op and Madame President put it all into a little filing cabinet in sensible order with clear labels. I would never have imagined I could be this pleased with a filing cabinet. One could be perturbed that there is not one single sheet of paper from almost 10 years of this building's 18 year history as a co-op, but I prefer not to think about it, considering how very little I can do about that. I'm just looking forward and Keeping Going.

I also built a desk for myself this weekend. Okay, I only attached a couple of legs, courtesy of West Elm.

The 'Jay' Desk becomes the 'Amber' Desk

As I'll be wanting to sit at the desk, I started refinishing this chair I picked up on the street when someone put it out for trash collection.

Street Chair

"Refinish" feels like a strong word for what I intend to do - "remake"? I'm replacing the seat's rotting foam and recovering it. I'll hit the frame with a little sandpaper to clean it up a little and show more of the blue paint under the green, then reassemble and call it a day. It's a stable little thing, and although it's of the fake-o "antiqued" genre which usually earns a raised eyebrow from me, I'm growing a bit fond of it. I think the hardest bit will be choosing the fabric for the seat. A nice rich dark red velvet or brocade could be fitting, but a nice sturdy canvas might redeem some of the preciousness. I think I'll just Keep Going with it and see what happens.

8 Comments:

Blogger futuregirl said...

I love the chair. Be sure to show us the finished product.

1/10/2007 8:05 AM  
Blogger marcisenders said...

Hey, that's the desk I am planning to get when I move. I was thinking white though. Great minds...Anyway, the chair is amazing, the color and paint chippage is great!

1/10/2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger Carson said...

Say no to precious I say!
Canvas sounds much better
But then that's just my aesthetic.
And the filing...some day I just may shock the blogosphere with a shot of 12 months worth of projects piled up on my 'spare' desk

1/11/2007 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to go sidewalk scouting for a desk chair -- LOVE yours. Dark green upholstery? With dragonflies? My mom did the dining room chairs in something like that (red, though), and they look great.

1/12/2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that is a lovely chair, well worth salvaging.

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my quilt, I'm chuffed to bits.

1/17/2007 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you like the Jay desk? Did you buy the hutch, too? I'm thinking about that desk, too!

1/22/2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Dez Crawford said...

That looks just like one of the chairs from my granny's late 1930's era dining set. Hers were dark-wood finish with dark green uppholstery. Seems that someone did an "antiquing" job on your sometime around 1978. Well made and worth saving. May be worth restoring to the original wood finish.

1/22/2007 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our tree is heading back outside tonight. I meant to do it this weekend, but then we had the first snowfall of the year and I knew I needed to keep it up for one more night...

Our tree didn't bloom, but it has been steadfast in its refusal to drop its needles.

1/22/2007 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home